Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Catching You Up To Today: 9/16/08

So much has happened since I arrived on the 10th but I'll pick up from where Anh left off. The opening of the Sanford/Gosti studio went beautifully. The food spread was incredible: olives, chunks of parmigiano, slices of prosciutto hand cut at the studio, spicy peppers stuffed with tuna, breads and of course pasta and vino. I could go on and on about the food because it was so fabulous, but more fabulous was the support from friends and family that came to the opening. The girls and I mingled for a bit before it was time to do our improve behind the scenes and I think I speak for everyone when I say we were rather nervous. Alice's parents had strategically placed collected items into a wall like structure so we could perform behind it without anyone seeing. Behind the wall we hooked up a camera that connected to the T.V. where I guests were visiting and when our performance was to start, the video would stream live to the T.V. making it appear as if we had recorded our improve earlier on. All and all I think the improve went really well considering Devin, Anh, Alice and I have never improved together like that before. It lasted for about 15-20 minutes and you could tell the minute our audience noticed something happening on the T.V screen because everyone fell silent. Alice's mom graciously tried making conversation with her guests to relieve the silent pressure if you will, but everyone seemed content remaining quiet. Our performance ended and we appeared out from behind our hiding spot, the crowd cheering. With excitement in the air, adults and children started dancing together to new music and old which ended the night on a fabulous note. 
The girls and I as well as Lorenzo, Marzia, Marco and Olga (dear friends of Alice) continued dancing however for the rest of the evening outside the city at a club called Red Zone. According to Lorenzo who is a PR for the club and has his own table which was huge for the night, Red Zone is the most famous dance club in the center of Italy if not for the whole country. He got us in for a discounted fee, free alcohol was served to our table every half hour or so and most importantly we got a chance to dance to some outstanding music. Tons of lights, fog machines, a giant disco ball, sexy men in booty shorts, it was quite the scene to see. Our night ended at 6AM followed by whip cream filled pastries at a bakery back in town. WHAT A NIGHT!
Since then we've started to get down to business rehearsing and taking workshop classes at Alice's studio. Bruno our workshop instructor and Alice's old teacher is absolutely fantastic. He attentively pays attention to all his students--providing advice, corrections and motivation throughout the entire two hours. During warm up he kindly translates counts, steps and explanations into English so Devin, Anh and I can understand. Our last combination was too much fun and he plans on expanding on it today. Needless to say I'm incredibly sore because this is the most movement I've done in months. I came down with mono in early August and wasn't allowed to dance or rehearse. Now that I'm better, my body is on the brink of falling apart because it's not use to moving. Okay that's not entirely true...again I'm just really sore, but I'm taking it day by day and thus far things are going really well. Tomorrow we leave for Ravenna and the festival will start. AHHHHHHHH it's going to be great. 
P.S. Two Italian magazines have advertised Anticorpi XL and Alice's name made it into both of them. SHE'S FAMOUS!!! 

1 comment:

Tim S said...

Ah yes, I seem to remember my doctor saying that dancing in fog machines till 6am with sexy Italian men was the best way to recover from Mono. Too bad most of us didn't have the therapeutic opportunity you had!

And yeah, we all know that Alice has always been famous, haven't we? ;)